quick & easy burbon pumpkin pie

6:55 AM

20151126_135917

It was Thanksgiving Day and all of my homemade pumpkin soup and pumpkin puree I had so tirelessly prepped during the week and froze cracked, broke, and poured into my tiny freezer. I was preparing dinner entirely by myself for the first time since Terry was volunteering at the homeless shelter, so fter a few choice words on my list of horrible experiences involving pretty much all of my recent experiences with Ball quart jars, I was forced to resort to the quick and easy "ingredients on hand" version of a pumpkin pie (or pies actually) that I could accomplish along with all of the other holiday tasks in time for our company. So...I took to the internet to find a version that was lower in sugar than the one printed on the can and, as usual, I ended up combining bits and pieces of recipes from all over to get the perfect pie I needed.

    Ingredients:
      1 (15 ounce) can pureed pumpkin
      1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
      2 large eggs, slightly whisked
      1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (rounded)
      ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
      ½ teaspoon ground ginger
      ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
      ½ teaspoon salt
      1 (9 inch) pie crust
      1 jigger of your favorite bourbon or whiskey
    Directions:
      Preheat oven to 425°
      In a small saucepan, heat pumpkin, spices and salt over low heat. The pour into another bowl to cool to room temperature.
      Whisk all ingredients except pie crust together in a medium bowl until combined.
      Pour into crust and bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
      Reduce heat to 350° and continue baking 35 to 40 minutes.
      Place pie on wire rack to cool and enjoy!
The guest and neighbors (whom I shared the pies with) loved them, especially with homemade vanilla whipped cream! And although I am not the biggest fan of baked goods not from scratch, after the debacle with my jars (which had all of my puree as well as my pumpkin soup - which I needed to make AGAIN from scratch) I was not feeling shy about cracking open those cans.

And if you are interested in why I was so upset...check below:



Yup, there are just two of the...oh, six or so quart jars that snapped in my freezer. All that prep work! *Sigh* But, at least we had a great Thanksgiving. I have tons of new recipes to carry over throughout the holidays and the carb rush gave me enough energy to get those decorations out the next few days!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Oooo! I love pumpkin pie!! And this looks delish!
    Hi! Stopping by from Mom Bloggers Club. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely was. The bourbon adds just the right kick to the taste.

      Delete